Monday, June 16, 2008

Sunday won't be the same

Hi Alyboo.. I am happy that you continue to survive the desert and that you have hit your half way mark! This last weekend was busy so I haven't been able to blog much. We had a good Father's Day which I will write and tell you more about and Mom had a Happy Birthday.


On Friday afternoon I was checking something online and headline news popped up saying that Tim Russert had died at the age of 58. What? What? I had to shake my computer, I couldn't believe it. So sad, he had a heart attack and collapsed while working on this Sunday's Meet the Press.

I was sold on Tim Russert in 2000 when Lib and I stayed up until 3 in the morning on election night watching him and Tom Brokaw trying to figure out where the country was going in electing a new president between Gore and Bush. Russert called it..Florida would decide.

I loved Tim Russert, I loved starting my Sunday mornings hearing, "Our issues this Sunday" and always ending with "If it's Sunday, it's Meet the Press". He was so enthusiastic about politics and he taught me so much each Sunday on his program. (Of course I always tried to balance my morning by watching Music and the Spoken word after) Who will cover the election this year? To me he is irreplaceable, Meet the Press and Sunday mornings will never be the same.

More than being an amazing journalist, he loved his family and was devoted to his dad "big Russ" and his son and wife. He also was devoted to his religion. I have listened to a lot of commentary and memorials since he died and everyone talks about how he always gave tough interviews but outside of that he was concerned about others, always looking to lift others up and always wanting others to succeed.

Well.. I just thought I would share this with you, my little tribute to Tim Russert..he will be missed.




2 comments:

Dave said...

emily - you are so awesome.

Tara said...

Hey you!, don't know if you remember me from Primary's, but I saw a link on Tracy's blog for you and thought it might be you, and to my surprise, it was! How are you? Are you still at Primary Childrens? tell everyone hello if so. Hope all is well.